A noble Gothic fortress
made of brick standing on a stone
embankment, it was built by Mosén Pierres de Peralta around1420
, towards the end of the reign of Carlos III 'the Noble'. The
moat highlights its fortress nature, although it lost part of its
warlike character and became a residential castle-palace after1513 when Ferdinand the Catholic
constituted the marquisate of
Falces and the castle became its seat.
The building, declared a Cultural Interest Site
, has a square
loor layout with ashlar stone foundations in the terreplein and brick in the rest. At the four corners there are strong prismatic towers that are complemented by other (smaller) towers, including a keep on the main façade.
The highlights inside are a chapel with conserved paintings (16th century) and the parade ground, around which a number of rooms are distributed. A well-known episode occurred in 1516, when the marquess, Ana de Velasco, bravely stood up to Colonel Villalba and prevented him from carrying out the demolition order issued by Cardinal Cisneos.