Who said kids can't come to the San Fermin fiesta? The Pamplona fiesta is one where age is no restriction. Everyone is welcome and, of course, that includes children; but rest assured, the grown-ups won't have any less fun. Here are some areas with endless possibilities for children, but don't forget to take a look at the fiesta programme to find out the times of each activity.
THE FUNFAIR IN THE PARK OF LA RUNA
A fiesta without a funfair isn't a fiesta. Located near the Gas Corral , in the heart of the Arga Riverside Park, there is a world of attractions, restaurants and fairground stalls to delight the youngest members of the family, so a visit here is a must.
- "Menudas fiestas" Park in the Plaza de la Libertad: bouncy castles, puppet shows and handicrafts are just some of the activities the kids can enjoy.
- "Birjolastu" in the Park of La Taconera: jump around on car and lorry tyres, make towers out of cans, jump into a garbage container, keep your balance on wooden beams, play at cooking, compose melodies and paint furniture… this novel space combines activities which focus on the senses, skills, music and creativity. The sustainable fun is assured with all the reused and recycled things there to enjoy.
BULLS… FOR KIDS
- "Kirol Ari" in the Moat in the Park of La Media Luna: a multisport area designed for kids aged 8 to 14 in the moat in the Park of La Media Luna near the Pamplona Fortification Interpretation Centre. Several areas will be set up for each day's schedule. Among other activities, participants will have the chance to play basketball and badminton, try their hand at fencing and traditional rural sports, ride horses and go kayaking on the River Arga.
After playing at running with the bulls in the park with their friends all year, it's time for the kids to get a small taste of the real thing.
- The running of the bulls is at 8 a.m., but you shouldn't arrive any later than 6.30 to get a place at the fence. Though you can go to the bullring an hour later than that if you want to see the bulls charge in and then enjoy watching the runners with the heifers that are released afterwards. Another fun option is to watch the spectacle from a balcony. Don't miss the details of how to see a bull run.
- Bull of water: this refreshing 'bull' event is held every day from 8 to 9 p.m. in front of Hotel Maisonnave, the organiser of this great summertime amusement for children, one of the biggest crowd-pullers every year.
- Gas Corral: you can go and see the bulls which will be taking part in the bullfights in the corral next to the funfair. The kids will marvel at the size of the animals when they see them up close as they peacefully rest.
- Parades of horsemen and mules: another beautiful experience for the whole family to enjoy, the parade marches every day from the City Hall to the Bullring before the day's bullfights.
THE STREET, A NON-STOP PARTY
- The bull of fire: starting in the City Hall Square at 9.45 p.m., the more daring can run through the old town in front of this peculiar bull made of wood and cardboard, dodging the sparks that fly off it as it goes.
Every day at 9 p.m., Avenida Carlos III becomes an outdoor stage for the 'Street theatre'
programme. Different companies liven up this central avenue with colourful street performances, often with unique and attractive elements.
Though to tell the truth, you're sure to have a great time just walking through the streets; the street is a non-stop party with all sorts of walk-by performances: magicians, mine artists, clowns, dancers, circus performers and musicians of kinds all await around the next corner ready to keep the children amused.TROUPE OF GIANTS AND BIGHEADS
And, of course, it's in the street where you can accompany the troupe of Giants and Bigheads, consisting of a royal court with 4 pairs of giants, bigheads, kilikis
, all so beloved and admired, which dances through the streets of Pamplona.KIDS' PEÑAS
Accompanying the kids' peñas is the perfect chance to enjoy the most spontaneous part of the fiesta with all the family. Join them and you'll soon get caught up in the great atmosphere they create.FIREWORK DISPLAYS
And to end the day, what better than to enjoy the fireworks in Vuelta del Castillo and marvel at the bright bursts of colour launched into the Pamplona night sky by some of the best firework display companies in the world?