After leaving Orreaga/Roncesvalles
2.5 kilometres later the pilgrim will arrive at Auritz/Burguete, a beautiful village on the Pilgrim's Way. It has been declared an 'Asset of Cultural Interest'
, full of Pyrenees-style houses with hipped roofs that shelter walkers on their way through the village. Two streams flank the road that crosses the village and while there you will find the traditional meeting places - the church, the town hall and the frontón (pelota court) - in the centre of the village.
The origins of Auritz/Burguete go back to the 12th century when it was created as a borough of the hospice of Roncesvalles. At that time Sancho VII "el Fuerte" (the Strong) decided to re-route the Pilgrim's Way in Navarre through the Ibañeta pass. This attracted traders and the bourgeoisie and led to the creation of hostels, and the town grew up in a straight line alongside the Pilgrim's Way following its foundation in 1100.
The town was reconstructed after being set on fire by the French troops of the Convention in 1794. The church of San Nicolás de Bari
is the clearest example. Constructed in the Renaissance period, it underwent two reconstructions in the 20th century. The façade, from 1699, is decorated with reliefs of popular themes, whilst the altarpieces and other elements inside the church disappeared in the French invasion and the fire of 1962. Next door, the Town Hall has a similar appearance to the adjoining houses, with an arched porch on the ground floor.
On the outskirts, following the yellow lines that guide the visitor towards Santiago, we will approach the river Urrobi surrounded by hazelnut and ash trees and poplars. It is a beautiful landscape, invoking calm and presenting us with the undeniable opportunity to stop and eat, just like Ernest Hemingway did so many times in earlier years. Try the typical trout with ham or any other of the delicacies that Navarrese cuisine
has to offer.
Auritz/Burguete also conserves some ancient traditions
. The bonfires of San Juan (on midsummer night), which are held all over Navarre, are particularly well established in this town, as is the food fair in September
that dates back to the 14th century.
In Auritz/Burguete there is a single-arched mediaeval Romanesque bridge just 100 metres from the N-140 road to Garralda, and the prehistoric dolmen and tomb of Lindus
, on the boundary with the town of Luzaide/Valcarlos.