Greenways, tracks that cover former railway routes, offer us an alternative way of seeing, experiencing and enjoying the countryside and the culture of a region. Routes filled with history, natural charm and with all but no traffic, they constitute a healthy, easy and safe alternative for cycling and walking. Discover the five routes of this kind distributed across all the areas of Navarre:
- Bidasoa Greenway (35 km, from Legasa to Endarlatsa): with the river Bidasoa as a travel companion, it snakes through landscapes of green meadows dotted with hamlets, typical villages and even several forgotten bunkers. It was known as the "Txikito" (small) train for the width of the track (0.92m).
- Plazaola Greenway (54 km, 32 of them through Navarre, from Lekunberri to Andoain): the steam train that joined Pamplona to San Sebastián ended its service in 1958; from the Lekunberri station, the recovered route crossed the beautiful landscape of the valley of Larraun or Leitzaran, between forests and meadows.
- Lumbier Gorge Greenway (6.38 km, from Lumbier to Liédena): limestone ravines with dizzying sheer walls, the whispers of the river, cut through by the wings of the Griffon vultures and the echo of the now silenced rattle of the train, the first electric passenger train in Spain. It was the "Irati" on its route through the Natural Reserve of the Lumbier Gorge
- Basque-Navarran Railway Line (27 km, from Murieta to Antoñana, in Alava). Those that decide to follow the trail left by the train also known as "the cangrejero" (crab line) will travel through numerous natural barriers. Soft colours and fields of cereal crops unfold around this route, forged between the mountains.
- Tarazonica Greenway (22 km, from Tudela to Tarazona): From the monumental city of Tudela, we travel deeper into the allotments along the banks of the river Ebro until we reach the impressive Moncayo, in Aragonese lands. The slowness of its modest railway and its tendency to de-rail earned it the nickname of "Escachamatas".
From spring to autumn.
After all that exercise, don't forget to try the delicious gastronomy from each of the areas.
Check out companies that rent bicycles.