Extensive territory with a characteristic, highly-eroded, steppe landscape, forming spectacular gullies and earthy cliffs. In addition to steppe vegetation, there are also dry, cereal crops and some areas which still contain Aleppo-pine woodland, particularly in the the so-called Bardena Negra, in the south. There is an army firing range in the Bardena Blanca, the most steppe-like area.
This area is a Natural Park, ZEPA (Special Bird Protection Area) and the Biosphere Reserve "Bardenas Reales de Navarra". It contains the Natural Reserves "Rincón del Bu" and "Caídas de la Negra", and borders on the Natural Reserve "Vedado de Eguaras" and the Natural Enclave "Pinar de Santa Águeda".Habitats
Steppe landscape, wheatfields, Aleppo-pine woodland and cliffs.Birds
- Residents: Mallard, Little grebe, Great crested grebe, Great bittern, Purple heron, White stork, Red kite, Griffon vulture, Marsh harrier, Northern goshawk, Eurasian sparrowhawk, Common buzzard, Golden eagle, Common kestrel, Peregrine falcon, Red-legged partridge, Water rail, Common coot, Moorhen, Stone-curlew, Black-bellied sandgrouse, Pin-tailed sandgrouse, Rock dove, Common woodpigeon, Barn owl, Eagle owl, Little owl, Long-eared owl, Iberian green woodpecker, Great spotted woodpecker, Dupont's lark, Calandra lark, Lesser short-toed lark, Crested lark, Thekla lark, Wood lark, Sky lark, Wren, Robin, Black redstart, Common stonechat, Black wheatear, Blue rock thrush, Blackbird, Song thrush, Dartford warbler, Spectacled warbler, Sardinian warbler, Firecrest, Bearded tit, Long-tailed tit, Blue tit, Great tit, Short-toed treecreeper, Southern grey shrike, Eurasian jay, Magpie, Red-billed chough, Eurasian jackdaw, Carrion crow, Common raven, Spotless starling, House sparrow, Tree sparrow, Rock sparrow, Common chaffinch, European serin, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Linnet, Cirl bunting, Corn bunting.
- Summer visitors: Black kite, Egyptian vulture, Short-toed eagle, Montagu's harrier, Booted eagle, Lesser kestrel, Hobby, Common quail, Little bustard, Little ringed plover, Stock dove, European turtle dove, Great spotted cuckoo, Common cuckoo, Scops owl, Red-necked nightjar, Common swift, Alpine swift, European bee-eater, Hoopoe, Short-toed lark, Sand martin, Barn swallow, House martin, Tawny pipit, Rufous nightingale, Northern wheatear, Black-eared wheatear, Reed warbler, Great reed warbler, Melodious warbler, Olivaceous warbler, Subalpine warbler, Western orphean warbler, Bonelli's warbler, Iberian chiffchaff, Woodchat shrike.
- Winter visitors: Greylag goose, Common teal, Tufted duck, Great cormorant, Grey heron, Merlin, European golden plover, Northern lapwing, Common snipe, Water pipit, Tawny pipit, Fieldfare, Redwing, Mistle thrush, Blackcap, Common chiffchaff, Goldcrest, Penduline tit, Common starling, Brambling, Hawfinch, Yellowhammer, Reed bunting.
- Passage migrants: Common shelduck, Little egret, Cattle egret, Black stork, Eurasian wigeon, Gadwall, Pintail, Northern shoveler, Red-crested pochard, Common pochard, Common crane, Black-winged stilt, Avocet, Great ringed plover, Dotterel, Little stint, Dunlin, Ruff, Whimbrel, Common redshank, Green sandpiper, Wood sandpiper, Common sandpiper, Black tern, Short-eared owl, Tree pipit, Whinchat, Sedge warbler, Common whitethroat, Garden warbler, Willow warbler, Spotted flycatcher, Pied flycatcher.Recommended observation points
- Footpath "El Fraile" (4.6 km., roundtrip)
- Car route B "Plana de la Negra y Santuario de Sancho Abarca" (37 km.)
- Car route "La Blanca" (El Paso access: 48 km.; Los Aguilares access: 32 km.)