This is an endorreic lake, which used to be dammed in the past, with a large mass of marsh vegetation. The surrounding area is mainly taken up with dry crops, cereals to a good extent, together with slopes and hillocks of Mediterranean countryside and scrubland.
This area is a Site of Community Importance (Natura 2000 Network), Ramsar Wetland, ZEPA (Special Bird Protection Area) and Natural Reserve.Habitats
Wetlands, steppe landscape, wheatfieldsBirds
- Residents: Gadwall, Mallard, Northern shoveler, Red-crested pochard, Common pochard, Little grebe, Great crested grebe, Great bittern, Cattle egret, Little egret, Grey heron, White stork, Red kite, Griffon vulture, Marsh harrier, Hen harrier, Northern goshawk, Eurasian sparrowhawk, Common buzzard, Golden eagle, Common kestrel, Peregrine falcon, Red-legged partridge, Water rail, Moorhen, Common coot, Eurasian collared dove, Barn owl, Little owl, Long-eared owl, Iberian green woodpecker, Calandra lark, Crested lark, Thekla lark, Sky lark, White wagtail, Robin, Black redstart, Blackbird, Cetti's warbler, Zitting, Dartford warbler, Spectacled warbler, Sardinian warbler, Firecrest, Bearded tit, Blue tit, Great tit, Penduline tit, Southern grey shrike, Magpie, Red-billed chough, Eurasian jackdaw, Carrion crow, Common raven, Spotless starling, House sparrow, Tree sparrow, Rock sparrow, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Linnet, Cirl bunting, Corn bunting.
- Summer visitors: Black-necked grebe, Little bittern, Purple heron, Black kite, Egyptian vulture, Short-toed eagle, Montagu's harrier, Booted eagle, Common quail, Baillon's crake, Little bustard, Black-winged stilt, Little ringed plover, Common redshank, European turtle dove, Common cuckoo, Great spotted cuckoo, European nightjar, Common swift, European bee-eater, Hoopoe, Short-toed lark, House martin, Barn swallow, Tawny pipit, Iberian yellow wagtail, Rufous nightingale, Northern wheatear, Black-eared wheatear, Savi's warbler, Reed warbler, Great reed warbler, Subalpine warbler, Woodchat shrike, European serin.
- Winter visitors: Greylag goose, Eurasian wigeon, Common teal, Pintail, Tufted duck, Great cormorant, Merlin, European golden plover, Northern lapwing, Jack snipe, Common snipe, Black-headed gull, Short-eared owl, Tawny pipit, Water pipit, Song thrush, Fieldfare, Redwing, Mistle thrush, Blackcap, Common chiffchaff, Goldcrest, Common starling, Common chaffinch, Reed bunting.
- Passage migrants: Common shelduck, Garganey, Black stork, Eurasian spoonbill, European honey-buzzard, Osprey, Hobby, Common crane, Avocet, Great ringed plover, Grey plover, Sanderling, Little stint, Curlew sandpiper, Dunlin, Ruff, Black-tailed godwit, Bar-tailed godwit, Greenshank, Green sandpiper, Common sandpiper, Wood sandpiper, Turnstone, Yellow-legged gull, Black tern, Whiskered tern, Common woodpigeon, Alpine swift, Sand martin, Tree pipit, Whinchat, Sedge warbler, Common whitethroat, Garden warbler, Willow warbler, Iberian chiffchaff, Spotted flycatcher, Pied flycatcher, Ortolan bunting.Recommended observation points
- Pitillas Observatory
- Route from the Observatory to the Playa de Limos (1,6 km.)
- Route around the lake (10 km.)