The reservoir is divided in two by a dyke and used to be dammed to increase its volume and allow for crop irrigation. There is generous marsh vegetation and a good Tamarisk coverage. There is a large surface of open water. The observatory is on the hill of El Bordón.
This area was declared of international importance by the Ramsar Agreement.
This area is a Site of Community Importance, ZEPA (Special Bird Protection Area) and Natural Reserve.Habitats
Open-water wetlands and marsh vegetation.Birds
- Residents: Mallard, Little grebe, Great crested grebe, Little egret, Grey heron, White stork, Northern shoveler, Common pochard, Red kite, Griffon vulture, Marsh harrier, Hen harrier, Eurasian sparrowhawk, Common buzzard, Golden eagle, Common kestrel, Peregrine falcon, Red-legged partridge, Water rail, Moorhen, Common coot, Common sandpiper, Common woodpigeon, Eurasian collared dove, Barn owl, Little owl, Long-eared owl, Common kingfisher, Iberian green woodpecker, Great spotted woodpecker, Lesser spotted woodpecker, Calandra lark, Crested lark, Thekla lark, Wood lark, Sky lark, White wagtail, Grey wagtail, Wren, Robin, Black redstart, Common stonechat, Blackbird, Song thrush, Cetti's warbler, Zitting, Dartford warbler, Sardinian warbler, Blackcap, Firecrest, Bearded tit, Long-tailed tit, Coal tit, Crested tit, Blue tit, Great tit, Short-toed treecreeper, Penduline tit, Southern grey shrike, Magpie, Red-billed chough, Eurasian jackdaw, Carrion crow, Common raven, Spotless starling, House sparrow, Tree sparrow, Rock sparrow, Common chaffinch, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Linnet, Cirl bunting, Corn bunting.
- Summer visitors: Little bittern, Night heron, Cattle egret, Purple heron, Black kite, Egyptian vulture, Short-toed eagle, Montagu's harrier, Booted eagle, Hobby, Common quail, Baillon's crake, Little bustard, Stone-curlew, Little ringed plover, Stock dove, European turtle dove, Common cuckoo, Great spotted cuckoo, Scops owl, European nightjar, Common swift, European bee-eater, Hoopoe, Wryneck, Short-toed lark, Sand martin, Barn swallow, House martin, Tawny pipit, Iberian yellow wagtail, Rufous nightingale, Northern wheatear, Black-eared wheatear, Savi's warbler, Reed warbler, Great reed warbler, Melodious warbler, Subalpine warbler, Western orphean warbler, Common whitethroat, Garden warbler, Bonelli's warbler, Iberian chiffchaff, Spotted flycatcher, Golden oriole, Woodchat shrike, European serin, Ortolan bunting.
- Winter visitors: Greylag goose, Common shelduck, Gadwall, Eurasian wigeon, Common teal, Pintail, Great cormorant, Great bittern, Tufted duck, Northern goshawk, Merlin, European golden plover, Northern lapwing, Jack snipe, Common snipe, Black-headed gull, Tawny pipit, Water pipit, Dunnock, Fieldfare, Redwing, Common chiffchaff, Goldcrest, Common starling, Brambling
- Passage migrants: Black stork, Eurasian spoonbill, Garganey, Red-crested pochard, European honey-buzzard, Osprey, Lesser kestrel, Little crake, Spotted crake, Common crane, Black-winged stilt, Avocet, Great ringed plover, Dotterel, Grey plover, Sanderling, Little stint, Curlew sandpiper, Dunlin, Ruff, Black-tailed godwit, Bar-tailed godwit, Whimbrel, Eurasian curlew, Spotted redshank, Common redshank, Greenshank, Green sandpiper, Wood sandpiper, Turnstone, Black tern, Short-eared owl, Alpine swift, Tree pipit, Common redstart, Whinchat, Sedge warbler, Willow warbler, Pied flycatcher, Red-backed shrikeRecommended observation points
- Route around the reservoir (4 km.)