North-easternmost reach of Navarra, which includes the Valley of Belagua and the high mountain area declared a Site of Community Importance, "Larra-Aztaparreta". The valley is deep, fairly wide and has an interesting livestock farming landscape. The slopes are populated with Beech woods and the high mountain area has a Karstic complex, mountain pastures and Black pine woods, as well as numerous rocky outcrops and crags. This is the highest part of Navarra with altitudes reaching 2,500 m above sea level; the real Pyrenees.
This area includes the Site of Community Importance and ZEPA (Special Bird Protection Area) "Larra-Aztaparreta", consisting of the "Larra" Natural Reserve and the Integral Reserves of "Ukerdi" and "Aztaparreta".Habitats
High mountains, Black pine woods, Beech woods, fields.Birds
- Residents: Red kite, Lammergeier, Griffon vulture, Northern goshawk, Eurasian sparrowhawk, Common buzzard, Golden eagle, Common kestrel, Peregrine falcon, Grey partridge, Barn owl, Tawny owl, Long-eared owl, Tengmalm's owl, Iberian green woodpecker, Black woodpecker, Great spotted woodpecker, White-backed woodpecker, Sky lark, White wagtail, Grey wagtail, Dipper, Wren, Dunnock, Alpine accentor, Robin, Black redstart, Common stonechat, Rock thrush, Blackbird, Song thrush, Mistle thrush, Goldcrest, Firecrest, Long-tailed tit, Marsh tit, Crested tit, Coal tit, Blue tit, Great tit, European nuthatch, Wallcreeper, Eurasian treecreeper, Short-toed treecreeper, Eurasian jay, Yellow-billed chough, Red-billed chough, Carrion crow, Common raven, House sparrow, Snowfinch, Common chaffinch, Citril finch, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Linnet, Common crossbill, Common bullfinch, Yellowhammer, Cirl bunting, Rock bunting, Corn bunting.
- Summer visitors: European honey-buzzard, Black kite, Egyptian vulture, Short-toed eagle, Booted eagle, Hobby, Common cuckoo, Common swift, Alpine swift, Crag martin, Barn swallow, House martin, Water pipit, Tree pipit, Northern wheatear, Ring ouzel, Garden warbler, Blackcap, Iberian chiffchaff, Spotted flycatcher, Red-backed shrike, European serin.
- Winter visitors: Woodcock, Tawny pipit, Fieldfare, Redwing, Brambling, Hawfinch, Siskin.
- Passage migrants: Great cormorant, Grey heron, Black stork, White stork, Greylag goose, Marsh harrier, Hen harrier, Montagu's harrier, Merlin, Common crane, Northern lapwing, Dotterel, Stock dove, Common woodpigeon, European turtle dove, Common redstart, Whinchat, Melodious warbler, Common whitethroat, Common chiffchaff, Pied flycatcher, Common starling.Recommended observation points
- La Mata de Haya
- Footpath R.IS-4 "Zemeto" (4 km.)
- NA-1370 road, between kms. 18 and 25
- Piedra de San Martin pass