The Forest of Irati belongs to the Valley of Salazar and the Valley of Aezkoa. It contains the head of the River Irati and the deep valleys and gullies which feed it, as well as the surrounding mountains. The Abodi range, running from east to west and with a maximum height of 1,537 metres, deserves special mention. Almost the entire surface is covered with fairly mature woodland, above all Beech and Beech-Fir. The higher areas are dominated by grassland and mountain pastures
There are two Reception Areas: the Arrazola area, entering from Orbaizeta, and the Vírgen de las Nieves area, entering from Ochagavia.
This area falls within the Site of Community Importance and ZEPA (Special Bird Protection Area) "Orreaga/Roncesvalles-Forest of Irati", which includes the "Mendilatz" Natural Reserve and the "Lizardoia" Integral Reserve.Habitats
Beech woods, Beech-Fir woods and mountain pastures.Birds
- Residents: Lammergeier, Griffon vulture, Golden eagle, Tawny owl, Woodcock, Iberian green woodpecker, Black woodpecker, Great spotted woodpecker, White-backed woodpecker, Grey wagtail, Dipper, Wren, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, Song thrush, Mistle thrush, Goldcrest, Firecrest, Long-tailed tit, Marsh tit, Crested tit, Coal tit, Blue tit, Great tit, European nuthatch, Eurasian treecreeper, Short-toed treecreeper, Eurasian jay, Carrion crow, Common raven, Common chaffinch, Linnet, Citril finch, Common bullfinch, Rock bunting.
- Summer visitors: Common cuckoo, Common swift, Sky lark, Water pipit, Blackcap.
- Winter visitors: Redwing, Siskin, Hawfinch, Snowfinch.
- Passage migrants: Great cormorant, Grey heron, Black stork, White stork, Greylag goose, European honey-buzzard, Black kite, Red kite, Egyptian vulture, Short-toed eagle, Marsh harrier, Hen harrier, Montagu's harrier, Northern goshawk, Eurasian sparrowhawk, Common buzzard, Booted eagle, Osprey, Merlin, Hobby, Peregrine falcon, Common crane, Northern lapwing, Dotterel, Stock dove, Common woodpigeon, European turtle dove, Short-eared owl, Hoopoe, Sand martin, Barn swallow. House martin, Tawny pipit, Whinchat, Ring ouzel, Fieldfare, Pied flycatcher, Golden oriole, Common starling.Recommended observation points
- Circuit of Cruz de Osaba, on Abodi (7.5 km)
- Summit of Tapla and footpath SL-NA 68 "Abodi Hights" (6 km.)
- Footpath SL NA-62A "Path of the River Urbeltza" (3.3 km.).
- Footpath SL NA-54C "Los Paraísos-Erlan" (4.6 km.)
- Footpath SL-NA 51C "Azalegi" (6,4 km.)