In the twelfth century, on the orders of King Sancho Ramírez of Navarre, the Cistercian monks who were spreading all over Europe at that time founded the La Oliva bodega. Given the characteristics of its location, they specialised in growing their own vines and making their own wines to make a living.
This important tradition has become impregnated in the stones of the medieval cloister, whose ornamentation often features grape-growing and winemaking scenes, especially the vine and its fruit. The Gothic bodega still remains, although various restorations have now turned it into an attractive meeting room.
The current bodega, which was built in 1912, was one of the first concrete structures of its time. This is where, after successive restorations, the monks still make their wines.
Today it is the only monastery that still makes wines with the grapes from its own vineyards, following the complete production process.
It bottles red wines (Reserva, Crianza and young) and rosé wines under the "Monasterio de la Oliva" label.